It’s the start of March and in meteorology terms it’s the start of spring but it’s still cold outside so drinking water may not be the first thing you think of doing! Drinking long cool glasses when the weather is hot is easy to remember but at this time of year it feels harder to do. However it is important to remain fully hydrated all year round, both for your general health and to help prevent back pain. I have been reminded of this twice in the last month. When people with very different circumstances but both suffering back pain were given the advice from medical professionals to drink more water.
The first, a pregnant lady, was very nauseous at 15 weeks and finding it hard to keep things down when she developed an intense back pain that saw her being admitted to hospital. She had had a back problem years ago and the resulting dehydration from the morning sickness had resulted in her being in agony. After 24 hours of rehydration and anti-nausea medication she was walking out of hospital. The second was a fellow gym member who was having her regular health check. She wanted to improve her flexibility and strengthen muscles as she had had back pain. At the health check she was told the best thing she could do for her back was drink more.
So why is water recommended for your back pain? Water plays an important part in all our bodily functions and that includes helping to cushion and lubricate our joints. Studies have shown that people who were well hydrated recovered from lower back pain better.
It seems odd to have to develop a habit to drink more water but in our busy lives it can be easy to pick up a coffee and forget water.
Here are my 5 tips to help you keep drinking water!
- Drink a glass of water every time you have a tea or coffee.
- Carry around a half litre bottle of water which you can refill. Aim to drink 3 full ones a day; one before lunch, one in the afternoon and one in the evening.
- Have water available and in sight to remind you to sip at all times.
- Add some fruit such a strawberries, frozen slice of lime or mint leaves to add some extra taste.
- Have a mug of hot water and slices of lemon (I love this first thing in the morning!
Let me know how you get on!
To help realign and prevent back pain try Bowen therapy
Call Caroline on 0756 733375 for more information